Re: The debian boot dependency graph image

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 05:09:49PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Sep 07, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 03:11:02PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > > Now, try thinking about how many of the blocks which are not listed
> > > as depending on udev actually do.
> > None, because udev isn't actually a hard dependency for any of those
> > scripts, so listing it as such is wrong.
> If it's in the picture then it's relevante.

My point being that you don't want to list them as hard dependencies
unless you really need udev and can't work with static devices for some
other reason.

Moreover, some dependencies may depend and may have to be rearranged
depending on configuration. I don't think it's possible to express that
with LSB-style initscripts, unfortunately.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22