Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

Le Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 10:00:08PM +0200, Michelle Konzack a écrit :
> Am 2006-08-25 11:46:20, schrieb Mgr. Peter Tuharsky:
> > 1b, If things don't work, it's sometimes hard to get them working
> > either. Example: Bug 372719. The OOo 2.0 keeps crashing for 2 months
> > thank to KNOWN bug in security upgrade. Now tell somebody, that Debian
>
> But OOo 2.0 is not in Stable!

Dear Michelle,

to be fair with Mgr Tuharsky, I think that it is important to remind
that the bug he is talking about in not affecting OpenOffice only, that
it was introduced by a security update, and that for various reasons the
fix takes months to be released, leaving users with a broken Sarge.

I conclude from this that there is a problem of transparency /
communication :

- The people complaining had the impression that nobody was caring
  fixing the problem, because there was no apparent activity, and the
  problem was claimed to be solved.

- Many answers to Mgr Tuharsky got were counter-criticisms focusing on
  OpenOffice, and overlooking the fact that the security update broke
  many more programs.

- The fix was lost in the limbo for some time between two teams, leaving
  the users reading the bug report in a situation in which they can not
  decide who to contact to unblock the situation.

- The problem is getting solved in silence.

Maybe the debian website would deserve a section in which Debian
communicates on those issues. After all, I think that they are similar
in concept (but not in gravity) to recalls seen in the industry: a
broken material was released, so special communication could help to
contact the users, explain the problem, and help them to fix it.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org