Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

Am 2006-08-24 11:12:04, schrieb John Goerzen:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:05:53PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Am 2006-07-28 12:43:55, schrieb John Goerzen:
> >
> > > I like the fact that a base Debian install is only 100MB.  Most of
> > > Debian's competitors are 10 times that.
> >
> > Ist now over 200 MByte...
>
> No.  I've been doing a ton of etch installs with cdebootstrap lately,
> and it's still just under 100MB.  97 or so if memory serves.
>
> A ton better than the RHEL/CentOS situation, where the stripped-down
> "server" install is over 1GB.

Do you know, WHY I use Debian?

In 03/1999 Windows NT 4.0 Server had leaved me and I had to choose a
new Operating System, BSD or Linux...

The first thing I needed was a Router...

    => LRP (The Linux Router Project)

Realy nice and Floppy based and it was working from the first day with
my 2 MBit Cable Modem in Strasbourg.

Then a Workstation... Hmmm, have found the DLD (Deutsche Linux
Distribution) version 5.0 and the 6.0 BUT the Workstation Setup had
tried to install over 800 MByte of stuff on my little K6/200...
Even my try to strip the installation failed...

Later DLD was sold by RedHat

Then I was interested HOW LRP was working and I found out, IT'S Debian
2.1 codname Slink...

OK downloaded the 7 Floppies (Rescue, driver and 5x Base)!

Wow it worked from scratch, my 3c509 and 3c905 are recognized immediatly

After playing arround and leard HOW DIFFICULT it is to find good
documentation (at this time) I have found a CD Seller (Heiko Schlitterman)
where I have bought the 4 CD's (2 bin + 2 src)

OK, happy I am, tried to install the rest of the System...

Oops... 1,6 Gbyte - a little bit to much.

Thanks to apt-cache and ap-get... and I have leaned very fast how to
install light Systems...

I have installed one Package after one... x-window-system, fvwm, netscape
StarOffice 5.2, ...

Then I have encountered that I have a full blown System of less then
500 MByte...

And the other Distribution hat tried to install Gimicks I necer used
under WfW 3.11 and Win NT 4.0 Server/Workstation

Today I have a full blown Workstation consuming arround 1.1 GByte
including Mozilla and OpenOffice in 6 languages and my fvwm supporting
curently 11 languages (Translated my self my live partner and friends)

Debian is great !  --  and I hope it will stay like this.

Since I am working with underdeveloped countries It is NOT possible for
me, using Live-CD's, Knoppix, Gnoppix or *ubuntu.  They are to heavy.

I create full customized Install CD's for Computers from 200MHz to 500Mhz
including Workststions, Servers, ...  all packages fit on a singel CD.

Thanks to ALL Debian Developers, Debian Maintainers and Voluters.

Since I have no valid ID-Card (problens with France, since I am origin
iranish/turkish witeh illegal german adoptivp arents) I can not enter
the NM... nobody can sign legaly my GPG key and more bs.

Maybe if I go back to Iran or Turkey it would be possible for me.

Thanks and Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)