Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

Am 2006-08-24 11:56:21, schrieb John Goerzen:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 06:16:49PM +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:

> > Because, hardware support seems to be better in Ubutuntu than in Debian?
> > I've not tested it by myself, but I've heard from many people claiming
> > that their hardware (especially Laptop hardware) works perfectly out of
> > the box with Ubuntu but is a PITA to get working on Debian.
>
> This sort of vague anecdotal "evidence" has been repeated over and over.
> It may be true, but as far as I know, nobody has yet to come forth with
> reporting specific problems in Debian, only "x worked out of the box in
> ubuntu but not in Debian."

Right and there are peoples having problems with IBM Laptops...
Some have ask me privately and furtunatly I could help to 90%.

This is why I acception tonns of SPAM in my Freenet-INBOX and not
changing all two weeks my E-Mail address which is not realy serious.

> Well, that may be, but that's not necessarily a bug in Debian.  For
> instance, for many years, the Debian installer did not support LVM, even
> though the Debian OS did.  Is that a bug (in the classic sense) in the
> Debian installer?  I'd say no, it was just a feature it didn't have.

Agreed

> We ship a lot of modules as source in Debian -- lirc, for instance, but
> you can also find source modules for things like nvidia in contrib or
> non-free.  Building binaries from source modules is trivial but
> non-obvious to someone that is not a Linux admin.  Perhaps that could be
> improved, but it doesn't mean that Debian supports less hardware, only
> that its support may appear in a different manner.

Right and this is exactly I have told different peoples.
Sinc we are using the same Linux as Ubuntu or other
Distributions we have generaly the same Hardware support.

> Hardware choice is important to me.  I don't want my software selection
> to lock me into one or two hardware platforms -- I want to be able to
> buy an Arm, Sparc, Alpha, PowerPC, or whatever device and put my chosen
> software on it if I so desire.

;-)

Greetings and nice weekend
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)