Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

Am 2006-07-28 12:43:55, schrieb John Goerzen:

> I like the fact that a base Debian install is only 100MB.  Most of
> Debian's competitors are 10 times that.

Ist now over 200 MByte...
It was Woody with 64 MByte but a custom Sarge can striped to 92 MByte
which would be interesting for Servers, routers and such...

> If you are eBay, and you absolutely must have your website up at all
> times, which do you care about?  The latest kernel or the most stable
> one?

Unfortunatly, eBay is running Microsof IIS version 4 and 5.
This is, why eBay is inaccessible between 10:00 and 12:00 GMT.
The MS SQL reqires a shutwown while Vacuumizing.

> I'd say that Debian's big wins aren't the number of packages it has.
> It's that the system is stable, well-designed, tightly integrated, and
> predictable.  These are extremely valuable things.

FullACK

> It's just that these users aren't a huge majority in Debian.

Right

> I run Debian on laptops and desktops just fine.

Me too: Toshiba T1950CT (486dx50, 12 MB, Woody), IBM TP760ED, IBM R40,
        IBM T72, ...

        My Desktop is running fvwm since I use Debian (Slink, 03/1999)
        and it had never failed.

> It's not that we can't relate to them.  It's that you are asking Debian
> to alienate all of its other users in order to turn itself into Ubuntu.
> Let Ubuntu care about users that want Ubuntu and let Debian care about
> users that want Debian.

FullACK

> The day Debian becomes the OS you want it to be is the day I switch to
> something else, because it will cease being a useful general purpose
> operating system.
>
> Note that I also believe that Windows is not a useful general purpose
> operating system.

;-)

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)