Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 07:26:04PM -0300, Fabricio aybabtu Cannini wrote:
> I'm really a noob when it comes to the kernel guts, but i wonder,
> can't it be made like updating /boot/grub/menu.lst with a new kernel version ?

Yes, you could in theory compile a kernel module package from another
package's postinst, but:

 1. You would have to guarantee the right kernel headers are installed at the
    time. (You can't install them either, see the next point.)
 2. You cannot install it, as you can't call dpkg from a postinst script,
    and dpkg does not yet have any “trigger” functionality that would run
    afterwards.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/