Re: Time to rethink ifupdown

On Sunday 20 August 2006 08:58, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> Greetings to everybody on this list, it's my first post here.
>
> ifupdown, the official Debian network configuration tool, is great for
> configuring interfaces like Ethernet adapters. However, as time goes, more
> and more use cases occur which are hard to fulfill with ifupdown as it is.
> My guess is that it's time to rethink the philosophy behind ifupdown and
> give it some natural development.
>
> First, I'll summarize the problems with the current ifupdown (use cases
> not covered).
>
> 1. When we run ifup, we express our intention to bring an interface up. In
> many cases, the fact that we wish the interface to come up is not enough.
> The interface can actually come or not come up, and significant amount of
> time can have passed between the user ordering the interface to come up
> and the interface actually starting working. A typical example is
> dial-on-demand, where the phone number can be redialled several times
> before actual connection. This is currently handled by either blocking
> ifup for an indefinite amount of time (bad: blocks handling of other
> interfaces with ifup -a, causes conflicts with other instances of ifup
> upon the ifstate file) or by forking off a process which tries to connect.
> The disadvantage of the latter approach is that ifup immediately considers
> the interface as being up, runs the up scripts and updates ifstate.
> Running the up scripts before their time has many negative consequences,
> such as putting unreachable DNS addresses into /etc/resolv.conf using
> resolvconf, setting up unusable routes etc.
>
> 2. While the interface is up from the ifupdown POV, it can periodically go
> down and up again because of network problems (a common example is pppd's
> automatic redialling). In these cases, the down and up scripts are not
> executed though they should (see above about routes, resolv.conf etc).
>
> 3. If the interface really dies and there is no way to revive it (e.g. an
> USB device has been physically disconnected), and the daemon like pppd
> exists even though it's been told to "auto-reconnect", ifupdown will never
> know, so the interface state will remain inconsistent
> [http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=263749].
>
> 4. There is a number of "supervisor" daemons which monitor the media for
> the ability to connect, and try to connect when it's possible. An example
> is ifplugd which monitors for Ethernet link state. These are usually
> configured so as to control ifup/ifdown, but actually they need to be
> controlled from ifup/ifdown themselves: ifup should start the daemon for a
> device, and ifdown should stop it. This has the advantage of passing the
> information from /etc/network/interfaces to the daemon and not having to
> duplicate it elsewhere. This is especially the case for wpasupplicant.
>
> 5. Though ifupdown has a notion of "mappers" to resolve physical
> interfaces into their logical avatars, a mapper is required to be
> [...]

There is one extra item that needs to be considered.  That of permissions to
set things like whether an interface is dhcp or static (and then addresses
etc) and wireless setups.

Obviously if you are configuring a server you do not want others than the
administrator setting up the network, but if you are the sole user of a
laptop there needs to be a safe way for the user (non-technical) to do
this as the user moves from one location to another.

One option that has occurred to me is to establish a group which is allowed
to edit /etc/network/interfaces.  The obvious problem with this is the up and
down commands, which allow any program to be run as root.  Fortunately there
is an answer, which is to use the "macro" facility that ifupdown has (the one
used for wireless-xxx) and then it gets controllable and therefore safe (if
used properly).  This would need either to abandon up and down all together
or to have a switch (presumable in /etc/defaults/ifupdown) which enabled the
use of this group and disabled the use of up and down.

Now having said that this is for the use of non-technical users, obviously
it would be necessary for there to be front ends for /etc/network/interfaces
to do the actual editing.  These need to be integrated into KDE and GNOME
so that such network settings can be managed (and ifup and ifdown invoked)
in a user friendly way.

Regards

David