Re: Stuff the installer does which isn't done on upgrade....

Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 03:02:34PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> For dir_index you have to take the FS offline, tune2fs and fsck it or
>> you totaly corrupt it.
>
> Actually, that's not true.  It's perfectly safe to run tune2fs on a
> mounted volume to enable the dir_index feature.  All directories from
> that point on which grow beyond a single disk block will use the
> hashed-tree optimization.  "e2fsck -fD" run off-line is only needed in
> order to upgrade existing large directories to use dir_tree.

Did they fix that? When I first looked into dir_index it was said that
it would corrupt the directories since it would search the old linear
dirs via hash and insert new entries by hash into linear dirs.

That would totaly confuse the filesystem for obvious reasons.

> (Of course, you can also do something like "cd ~/Maildir; mkdir
> cur.new; mv cur/* cur.new; rmdir cur; mv cur.new cur" if you want, as
> long as you are confident you don't screw up or confuse a currently
> running mail client.)
>
> 						- Ted

MfG
        Goswin