Re: New desktop features provided by new version of update-notifier

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 08:29:13PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> The second feature is quite cool; update-notifier uses hal to detect
> that a new CD/DVD was inserted and tries to figure out whether that is
> a Ubuntu CD; I patched the program to also look for Debian CDs, and to
> avoid messing with translations, the messages have Ubuntu replaced by
> Debian in runtime, after the translation is got from gettext if the CD
> that was inserted is a Debian CD.

That is a *very* bad idea. Debian has a different genus in some
languages from Ubuntu, which means that just replacing any occurrance of
"Ubuntu" with "Debian" in those languages will render a sentence which
is gramatically incorrect.

Please don't do this.

--
Fun will now commence