Use of generic init script names [WAS Re: Status of inetd for etch]

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 10:56:01PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:

> Outstanding issues
> ------------------
>
> * There is no inetd virtual package, so multiple daemons may be
>   installed, all using the same configuration file.  Is this a use
>   case we really want to support?  Are there really setups running
>   multiple inetds for a good reason?  Having a virtual
>   "internet-super-server" package or similar with appropriate
>   dependencies would make them rather more interchangeable, as for
>   e.g. mail-transport-agent.
>
> * There is no common init script name.  Same problems as above.

So, this got me thinking about other packages which provide a common
service but don't use common script names.  Take imap, for instance.
Looking at cyrus21-imapd (init script provided by cyrus21-common),
courier-imap and dovecot-imapd (init script provided by dovecot-common)
it appears that they all provide imap-server and conflict with imap
server.  This makes sense.

However, the cyrus init script is called /etc/init.d/cyrus21, the
courier init script is /etc/init.d/courier-imap and the dovecot init
script is /etc/init.d/dovecot.  It would seem to me that if these
packages are going to claim to provide some sort of common server
(imap-server in this case), that the ability and method to start and
stop the service should be part of the commonality.  All of those
packages should really provide an init script by the same name (as they
all conflict with each other anyways).

The same should probably go for pop3d, httpd, inetd and so on.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez