Re: Use of generic init script names

    Roberto> However, the cyrus init script is called
    Roberto> /etc/init.d/cyrus21, the courier init script is
    Roberto> /etc/init.d/courier-imap and the dovecot init script is
    Roberto> /etc/init.d/dovecot.  It would seem to me that if these
    Roberto> packages are going to claim to provide some sort of
    Roberto> common server (imap-server in this case), that the
    Roberto> ability and method to start and stop the service should
    Roberto> be part of the commonality.  All of those packages should
    Roberto> really provide an init script by the same name (as they
    Roberto> all conflict with each other anyways).

I disagree - we should be moving to avoid conflicts where ever possible.

There are numerous reasons why you might want several different imap
servers installed simultaneously:

* you have different services listening on different IP addresses
  and/or ports.

* you are upgrading from one service to the other, and want both
  installed in case one fails and you have to revert.

* you want to experiment with several servers at the same time and
  find out which one best fits your needs.

etc.

The reason we have them conflicting is because so far we have no
management system to prevent contention of shared resources, such as
TCP ports, etc.

Also, last I heard, things get very messy if two or more packages
install the same conffile or configuration file, even if the packages
conflict (consider the purge operation - the maintainer scripts - will
delete the file even if another packing is using it).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>