Re: Two versions of pan in etch?

David Weinehall wrote:

> Is the new version of pan able to migrate the information from the
> old version yet?

No, and it won't be until somebody writes the code.  Charles Kerr (the
upstream author) said that he's not going to do it as it's non-trivial
and fairly difficult.  I understand him, and I suffer as well as I'm
subscribbed to a gazillion groups.

> If it does support this now (or if you could at least add a postinst
> script that does the migration), then I'm all for a switch to the
> new version.

I guess this (important, indeed) feature is irrelevant to the
question.  You'll hit the migration issue anyway.

As a devoted Pan user, I'd like the new Pan in Etch, but since the
code is changing very rapidly and is not yet mature, I think it's not
a wise choice.  Having the old and the new Pan together is
over-projecting and not worth it, IMHO.

OTOH, I really hope that upstream will release a stable version before
freeze time.

--
In the GNU Project, discrimination against proprietary software is not
just a policy -- it's the principle and the purpose.  Proprietary