Re: Code of Conduct on the Debian mailinglists

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 20:30 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > > Then SET YOUR HEADERS to reflect that, like everyone else does.
> >
> > So you're shouting to people to use non-standard and not generally
> > implemented headers to in order to have you comply with the mailinglist
> > code of conduct?
>
> You know, I use a mail program. Replying to people is in my fingers as
> "hitting a button". A very specific button, especially for that purpose.
> I expect my MUA to Do The Right Thing (TM). It usually does, except on
> the Debian mailinglists, where people start whining to me about some
> silly CoC.

If your mailer makes you automatically go shouting on the push of a
button, it may be time to download the source and get some serious
hacking done.

You won't see me making a fuss out of someone who sends someone else a
CC when that was undesired. However, some mailinglist poster has clearly
indicated for a couple of times already that he rather does not have
that, so he appearently thinks that's important. I find it to be common
courtesy if someone makes an explicit request, and stresses that request
once more, to honour that request when reasonably possible. It doesn't
cost me anything significant, does it?

The person I was replying to chooses to ignore the request of the OP and
even meets his request with hostility (shouting). Then in my opinion
you've reached the limit of acceptable behaviour on this mailinglist.

Thijs