Code of Conduct on the Debian mailinglists

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 10:20:26AM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 15:34 -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, third time. Please do not do that:
> > > To: George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net>
> > > CC: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> >
> > Then SET YOUR HEADERS to reflect that, like everyone else does.
>
> So you're shouting to people to use non-standard and not generally
> implemented headers to in order to have you comply with the mailinglist
> code of conduct?

You know, I use a mail program. Replying to people is in my fingers as
"hitting a button". A very specific button, especially for that purpose.
I expect my MUA to Do The Right Thing (TM). It usually does, except on
the Debian mailinglists, where people start whining to me about some
silly CoC.

Personally, I happen to think that our current CoC is flawed, mostly in
this respect.

A good Code of Conduct, in my opinion, should be written so as to
*reduce* the amount of flamage on the list and should try to improve the
general atmosphere.

However, IME, the only reason why the CoC is ever pointed to is to tell
people that they are breaking the CoC and that they should learn to
respect the rules and that they should not Cc people and that they
should learn to configure their mail client. Goddammit.

Guess what that will have of an effect on the atmosphere and on the
general level of flamage?

Personally, I think that if you have very specific ideas about how
someone should (or should not) send you any Cc's, that your MUA should
just DTRT. And/or that you should have some procmail bit to just throw
away any duplicates you get, if you think that is a problemat. Other
than that, what the hell?

--
Fun will now commence