Re: Centralized darcs

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 06:54:51PM +0300, George Danchev wrote:

> > > Also true for any debian patch system, but with the gain the debian
> > > specific
> >
> > No, it's not, because for most of them, the "source" that you get with
> > apt-get source is a tar.gz file and a debian/ directory.  You can NOT
> > just hack away on that like you would any package.  You MUST learn the
> > specific tool to do ANYTHING.
>
> After apt-get source you get debian source package directory with
> debian/patches/ inside. Learing to add/remove/update patches is easy and if
> one is not able to learn that, better not to send any diff, waste of time.

I'm going to be charitable and assume you haven't done any significant QA
work.  Working with any of the debian/patches management systems (and there
are oh-so-many of them) is a pest, and having to learn how all of them work
(if only to get a pre-patched source tree I can try and do useful work on)
is a wholesale pest.

> > > They can send new patch to be included in debian/patches/, remove one, or
> >
> > If I am using darcs, or svn, or whatever, there is no debian/patches at
> > all.  I don't understand what you are saying here.
>
> Where are you debian specific patches you apply to the upstream source
> tree as patches in debian/patches/ do. Or your have orig.tar.gz already
> patched with these and which is no more original tar.gz, and diff.gz not
> containing these.  This is forbidden by the policy as we know. And this
> adds confusion.

<fx: slaps forehead>  Of course you don't modify the orig.tar.gz.  the
diff.gz is capable of patching more than just the contents of debian/.

> > > But you lose debian specific patches to be clearly separated from the
> > > upstrem source (digging diff.gz for that is not fun), unless one knows
> > > where to find
> >
> > First, what is a "Debian-specific patch?"  Isn't everything in diff.gz
> > that?
>
> Right, but you have parts which touch upstream files (debian/patches/*), and
> parts which does not (debian/!patches). I prefer them to be clearly separated
> when the whole debian source package is unpacked.

Why?  You're doing an NMU.  You don't need to know which patches need to be
sent upstream.

> > Maybe you mean just stuff in debian/.  Well it's easy enough to filter
> > that out.
> >
> > I think people that are NMUing packages rarely care about this.
>
> see above.

What, exactly?

- Matt