Re: Centralized darcs

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 06:01:27PM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> > > How is that not true if one knows a given patch system and does know
> > > about your VCS and needs to work on one of your packages. Do they have
> >
> > They just apt-get source, hack away, and send me a diff.
>
> Also true for any debian patch system, but with the gain the debian specific

No, it's not, because for most of them, the "source" that you get with
apt-get source is a tar.gz file and a debian/ directory.  You can NOT
just hack away on that like you would any package.  You MUST learn the
specific tool to do ANYTHING.

> > They shouldn't be converting the package to use a patch system.
>
> They can send new patch to be included in debian/patches/, remove one, or

If I am using darcs, or svn, or whatever, there is no debian/patches at
all.  I don't understand what you are saying here.

> But you lose debian specific patches to be clearly separated from the upstrem
> source (digging diff.gz for that is not fun), unless one knows where to find

First, what is a "Debian-specific patch?"  Isn't everything in diff.gz
that?

Maybe you mean just stuff in debian/.  Well it's easy enough to filter
that out.

I think people that are NMUing packages rarely care about this.