Translated packages descriptions progress

Dear Friends,

the current version of apt in debian/experimental has support for
translated package descriptions and we have a the current translations
available for sid on the mirrors (currently not on ftp.debian.org
itself because of the mirror split I suspect).

This means that everyone with non-english locales will get translated
packages descriptions on the next "apt-get update" run if they install
the apt from experimental. Synaptic and aptitude have support for this
feature as well, python-apt and others will follow soon.

Please help testing the new code and report problems and/or
success. It should be enough to install apt, python-apt, synaptic from
experimental and if your LANG is set to something other than C it
should download the appropriate translation indexes and displays them
with apt-cache or synaptic (warning: not everything is translated
yet).

I think this is a important step forward for a fully localized system
and I'm pretty excited about it.

The ddtp system was developed by Michael Bramer, the code in apt is
based on the work of Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> who
implemented a patch against apt for 0.5.5.1. The translated package
descriptions where imported by Anthony Towns for sid. Thanks to all
of you :) And to the busy translators who work on making that happen!

More information:
* the first announcement I was able to find:
  http://lwn.net/2002/0103/a/deb-ddtp.php3
* original announcement about apt-i18n: http://lwn.net/Articles/34753/

The ddtp project is hosted at http://ddtp.debian.net/. You can view
the status of the various package descriptions via the webpage. If you
want to help translating, please to the following:

 1. send a Mail to pdesc@ddtp.debian.net with the subject 'GET 3 cs'
    (use cs da de eo es fi fr hu it ja nl pl pt_BR pt_PT ru sk sv_SE
     uk as langcode)
 2. you get a mail from the ddtp server with three untranslated
    descriptions.
 3. Translate the descriptions
 4. send this as mail attachments back to pdesc@ddtp.debian.net

Cheers,