Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On 7/28/06, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
John Goerzen wrote:
> Think about it -- if you manage dozens, hundreds, or thousands of Debian
> machines -- few of which even have a monitor -- how useful is this?
>
> Debian is all about not making assumptions like this.  If you want this
> feature, you are free to install it.

Debian is capable of figuring out whether it's being installed with a
monitor[1] at install time; if it is then update-notifier will be installed
(in etch, as part of the gnome-desktop task, thanks to the work of
Stratus).

our work, of course. Talking about our work, i'm unable to receive a response
from you for some time. :(

It's a fallacy to think that just because Debian wants to support
everyone that we can't target common sets of users, like desktop users,
and support them well, with polish.

This is a urban legend about Debian, a myth that hopefully we will burn
with Etch, nothing against you John, really. Unfortunately, this is a
wrong common
sense between a lot of developers.

In a way, we will "innovate" again (i hate this word, but to stay on
topic) with Etch,
and for those who don't know and care, it seems that Ubuntu partially
agreed with our
approach and probably will use tasksel in their next release (Edgy,
getting rid or not of their current metapackage approach), something
that they have disabled since their first release (Warty). Do you see
Katrina?

regards,
-- stratus