Re: svn package maintenance

On Sunday 23 July 2006 20:28, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 01:42:26PM +0200, Marcus Better wrote:
> > martin f krafft wrote:
> > > Well, ideally the support tool should not impose on the structure
> >
> > Yes, svn-buildpackage is quite nice since it's easy to tell it about your
> > layout. Something like that could work here as well.
> >
> > > SVN does not track merges across branches, unless you do it in the
> > > changelog.
> >
> > I know, it's a pain in the neck. But still it's a good step forward over
> > CVS, and seems to be quite popular in Debian. I hope svn will improve in
> > this area.
>
> Or you could look at something such as darcs, that already has ;-)
>
> Really, I have been using darcs for package management for some time
> now, and have found it very nice for that.  See
> http://darcs.complete.org/debian for a list.
>
> The distributed development model really shines here -- there is no need
> to mess with committer lists, etc.

There are some hindrances preventing mass usage of darcs-buildpackage, but all
of them are doable: a) there is no official darcs.debian.org service b) it is
written in Haskell like darcs itself [1], and there are less people able
and/or willing to hack on it c) a little bit more comprehensive documentation
will be nice to have, as said in #327840.

[1] I expect next <scm>-buildpackage (who's next, git ?) to be written in Ada
(of course, no sarsasm is implied here), especially as gnat is getting better
and better recently.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB