Re: (Not so fresh) News about locales

[Progeny dropped from Cc]

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 09:15:13AM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> Denis Barbier <barbier@linuxfr.org> wrote:

> >> localeconfig.postinst does write /etc/environment, is this a bug?
> >>
> >> If yes, which package is supposed to handle the file, then?  It isn't
> >> registered with dpkg, no other maintainer script except localeconfig's
> >> handles it, and it isn't in /var/lib/ucf/hashfile, either.
> >
> > You Cc: Progeny folks, so it looks like you believe that localeconf
> > is the culprit; maybe the contents of this file can shed some light.
> > This package is unmaintained for years, and is mostly useless nowadays.
> > I just filed #378941.
>
> Thank you, indeed I thought that localeconfig was wrong, but I wasn't
> sure.  I've written an e-mail to mia@qa.debian.org about the progeny
> packages.
>
> Anyway, my other question is not answered:  Which packages does handle
> /etc/environment?  There must be one that creates it upon installations.

This is because in your original mail, I thought that 'the file' was
referring to localeconf.postinst and not /etc/environment ;)

The latter is a PAM configuration file, so I would say that libpam-runtime
'owns' it.  But this file does not have to exist, it is optional, this is
why libpam-runtime does not create it.
It used to be created by d-i when user performs an installation in a
language different than English.  When the locales package have been
modified, Christian and I decided to let d-i create both files
(/etc/environment and /etc/default/locale) until most packages have
been patched.  Maybe it is time to finish this transition, and modify
d-i to no more create /etc/environment, this can surely be done after
d-i beta3.

Denis