Re: greylisting on debian.org?

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 12:47:49AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 17 juillet 2006 à 22:29 +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane a écrit :
>> On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 08:36:31AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
>>> Quoting Wolfgang Lonien (wolfgang@lonien.de):

>>> So, up to now, we've found Thomas Bushnell who seems really hardly
>>> voting against greylisting on Debian hosts, (...).

>>> So far and unless I forget someone, I haven't seen much other
>>> people being strongly opposed to greylisting on Debian hosts,

>> Here is one: I am strongly opposed to greylisting (on mail sent to
>> me or that I send), for the reason that it delays legitimate mail.

> I have refused greylisting for a long time for that exact reason.
> However the setup Pierre Habouzit describes does not delay most of
> legitimate mail.

That is the crux of the disagreement. You guys think that as long as
"most" of the legitimate mail is not delayed, the price is worth it. I
don't think so.

> Frankly, the remaining delays are sporadic and one can live with
> them.

Knowing that most legitimate mail doesn't get delayed doesn't make me
feel better when mail I sit waiting for gets delayed. Obviously, for
most mail I don't care as I don't sit waiting for it, I batch-treat it
a fez times per day or per week. So a half-hour delay on it, I don't
even see it. For *most* mail.

> I'm applying greylisting if one of these conditions is met:
>       * the incoming IP is listed in a DUL;

Bingo! You hit a hot button of mine.

>       * Exim sender/callout fails with a fatal error.

"Fatal" means not temporary?

--
Lionel