Re: Challenge: Binary free uploading

> Hi all,
>
> At https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NoMoreSourcePackages is a description of
> the new world order for Ubuntu packages -- which will simplify making
> changes to Ubuntu packages to a matter of simply committing the change
> to the source repository with bzr, and running a new command something
> like "src publish edgy" to instruct the autobuilders to grab the source
> from the bzr repository, create a traditional source package, and start
> building it for all architectures.
>
> We've recently seen an example of someone using some general features of
> the bug tracking system to mirror LaunchPad's features wrt tracking the
> status on other BTSes [0] -- what I'm wondering is if we can't manage to
> hack up a similar feature to that one for Debian with our current tools.
>
> The idea would be, I guess, to be able to setup pbuilder on a server
> somewhere, have it watch for a build instruction -- and then automatically
> check out the source, run a build with pbuilder, make the build log
> available, and if the build was successful, make the .changes file, the
> source and the binary packages available, so that they can be checked by
> hand, and uploaded to the archive.
>
> For bonus points, have the server be able to automatically do the upload
> by the maintainer downloading the changes, signing it, and sending the
> signed changes file somewhere.
>
> For more bonus points, have the server be easy to setup (apt-get install
> some package, edit a conguration file), and work for all sorts of
> different revision control systems (CVS, Subversion, git, etc).
>
> Cheers,
> aj
>
> [0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/05/msg00001.html

Will you setup the Debian DAK to allow source only uploads and apply
patches to wanna-build and buildd for anyone willing to work on this?

Because if this is not also ment for Debian then you are slightly off
topic and Debian people should be told in advance that their work
would be solely for the competition.

Further, what is your opinion on the following claims:

- people won't test build their sources before upload anymore
- all those build failures will overload the buildds
- the untested debs will have far more bugs making sid even more
  unstable

Any other contras I've not repeated from the numerous past discussions
of banning binary uploads?

MfG
        Goswin

PS: This is no attack on you, I'm just thrown off since your
challenge seems to contradict all past discussions.