Re: Debian Bug Tracking System

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 01:02:44AM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Not trying to start a flame war but can somebody give a convincing explanation
> as to why don't we have a standard BTS ?

There is a whole host of reasons. Some I can think of offhand:

 - All other known alternatives have a number of serious problems (at least
   in the eye of many DDs); everything from "you need to login to do
   anything" via "it doesn't support version tracking" or "no support for
   working offline" or "can't be manipulated properly by e-mail".
 - Lots of tools would need substantial rewrites in order to switch to a new
   BTS (the amount of tools hooked up into the BTS is quite large). The BTS
   doesn't stand on its own, it's part of a quite intricate infastructure.
 - Migrating to a new BTS would probably be quite a lot of work (try
   migrating 350000 bugs in a reasonable timeframe without losing data),
   and you'd need quite large gains in order to justify that (and to get the
   people in charge to do it).

Others will probably add lots more.

/* Steinar */
--