Re: ITP: openwatcom -- C/C++ compiler and IDE that produce efficient, portable code

Le 03-07-2006, Sebastian Harl <sh@tokkee.org> a écrit :

> On the website it says it's a cross compiler, that is to say you can produce
> code for different target platforms on one host platform.
>
> Maybe you should change the description to something like "C/C++ cross
> compilers and IDE". Saying that a compiler produces portable code is wrong
> imho (Even the Java compiler does not really produce portable code - the Ja=
> va
> binary code only runs on the Java VM. The Java VM itself is portable though=
>=2E).
Good point. I have fixed my debian/control file as shown below.

---------
Source: openwatcom
Section: devel
Maintainer: Jason Spiro <jasonspiro4@gmail.com>
Standards-Version: 3.7.2.0
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5)

Package: openwatcom
Architecture: any
 Open Watcom includes a C/C++ IDE and a full set of command-line tools
 for compilation, including the superb Watcom debugger. It emits
 easy-to-understand errors and warnings when things go wrong. Current
 outstanding issues include imperfect template support and an inability
 to dynamically link with shared libraries built by GCC. Also, the
 debugger does not seem to work properly in Linux. The Open Watcom
 Fortran compiler is not included in this package. The Open Watcom
 instruction manuals are also not included in this package; most of the
 manuals are available for viewing on the web.
 .
 Open Watcom generates well-optimized statically linked binaries for
 Linux, Win32, Win16, OS/2, QNX, NetWare, and DOS real and protected
 mode, among other targets. Open Watcom is known to work on the i386
 platform. In the past, it has also supported other platforms, including
 PowerPC, SPARC, MIPS, and Alpha AXP, and may still work on those
 platforms as well.
---------

In case you are wondering, openwatcom has no dependencies. The Watcom
compiler and other binaries are statically linked with the bits of the
Watcom runtime that they depend on. The Watcom tradition has always been
static linking.

--
When you open Windows, bugs get in!