Reclaiming automake

Hello everyone,

Scott James Remnant dropped me an email recently, interested in
improving the automake situation in Ubuntu and Debian[0]. Right now the
automake packages looks like this:

automake1.4: This is the old school package, that's been completely
unsupported for a number of years (since 2002). It certainly not used
with any new software and any software still using it should be
migrated away from it. It is also the only package that provides
"automake", cause there are still 73 packages[1] by my reckoning that
build depend on automake and expect that be automake 1.4.

automake1.7, automake1.8, automake1.9: This is the new generation of
automake. While mostly compatible with each other, each new revision
brings in some backwards incompatible changes. This is mostly due to
automake's free form nature, and no strict API for generating
makefiles.

Right now, the "automake" command is set up as an alternative, and all
these automake* packages provide those alternatives, with automake1.9
having the highest priority.

This situation isn't ideal because users can't just install automake
and get the expected latest version. So I propose the following steps
to take back the automake package name:

1. Remove the automake and automaken provides from automake1.4 and
take it out of the alternatives infrastructure (alternatively leave
the alternatives but still removing the provides, with automake1.4
providing the lowest alternative value). Make clear in the package
description and whatnot that automake 1.4 is deprecated and should
only be used in highly special circumstances.

2. Start shipping an automake package again that would track the
latest upstream version of automake (or be a dummy package that
depended on the latest version) and give it the highest alternative
priority. This will give most users the latest version (and hence have
a better automake experience), while still allowing packages to depend
on other versions.

3. Leave the alternatives system in place for >= 1.7 versions of
automake, to give people the ability to say "No, I want my system to
be version 1.X of automake, until I say otherwise"

Now before I can implement this master plan, I need to fix all the
packages that still build depend on "automake"[1]. To proceed with
this I'd like to file wishlist bugs (with patches) against these
packages one week from today. One week after that, with the Release
Team's blessing, I'd like to start NMUing as much of these packages as
I can. Once that is complete, I'd like to make the transition and
raise the severity of any of bugs that remain.

If you find your package listed in [1], the first step is to check if
you actually need to be build depending against automake at all. In
most cases you shouldn't. If you really do need it (ie you've modified
a Makefile.am), consider running the appropriate automake in your
source tree and shipping them in your .diff.gz. While bloating the
.diff.gz slightly, it will lead to more predictable builds and less
nagging from me when these transitions have to happen.

[0] Their plan, which mirrors mine, is documented here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AutomakeTransition

[1] Output of: grep-dctrl -ne -s Package -F
Build-Depends,Build-Depends-Indep 'automake[^1n]'
/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_source_Sources
| grep -v -E
'gcc-3.3|easypg|ext2resize|freesci|gnuift|isoqlog|jack-tools|kmymoney2|oprofile'
| dd-list --stdin

(those packages filtered out are ones that do have automake in there
build depend line, but not in a way that could lead to problems with
this transition, eg automake1.9 | automake).

Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) <gcs@debian.hu>
   xmms-blursk

Peter De Schrijver (p2) <p2@debian.org>
   coriander