Re: ping for missing maintainers

#include <hallo.h>
* Chris Halls [Tue, Jun 20 2006, 01:04:04PM]:
> On Tuesday 20 June 2006 11:38, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be better to merge this with apt-cacher and combine your
> > skills and time? They do seem awfully similar in what they do if not
> > how they do it.
>
> Well, when apt-cacher started out, it needed an apache installation to work
> and I did not see that as a good replacement for apt-proxy, and it lacked
> many of apt-proxy's features. It looks like it has grown many of these
> features now so maybe it might be mature enough to retire apt-proxy. It isn't
> really possible to merge the existing code since the implementations are so
> different.

And I am rewritting apt-cacher in C++ right now. I am not sure whether I
should create a new apt-cacher-ng package or use the old package. I plan
to break with some things in the new implementation:

 - drop IP filtering. First I wanted to keep it and use libwrap for IP
   verification, but libwrap seems to be non-reentrant. Any suggestions?
 - rename some config variables to make the naming more consistent
 - drop download rate limiting

Regards,
Eduard.