Re: Easy way to incorporate Ubuntu improvements back into Debian?

On Friday 05 May 2006 19:37, Marco Nenciarini wrote:
> As you can see in
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=362779 you need a
> patched mesa to make it works.
>
> If you want to try a working xgl (with patched mesa) you can point
> your apt to:
>
> deb http://www.prato.linux.it/~mnencia/debian xgl/
> deb-src http://www.prato.linux.it/~mnencia/debian xgl/
>
> Here you can find the foolwing source packages:
>
> xserver-xgl		Stolen from Ubuntu
> compiz			Stolen from Ubuntu
> control-center		Stolen from gnome-team svn
> 			Version 2.14 is needed by compiz.
> mesa			Patched to support Xgl

Just a question: are these packages going to be maintained? Any chance
that they show up in the main debian repository in the near future?

I'm just asking, because the packages work basically ok for me (on
unstable) with a few minor tweaks... but I'm missing the gnome-glx-*
tools which are used to setup the desktop... they are supposed to come
with the compiz package (at least in SuSE), but I cannot find them. How
am I going to setup compiz and xgl as default under gnome? The howto on
the OpenSuSe Wiki doesn't work, as the necessary tools are missing. :(

On the other hand, it seems not all compiz plugins are working.

Could you give me a hand or shed some light into the darkness?

Thanks
Arne
--
Arne Götje (高盛華) <20030910antispam@gmx.net>
(Spam catcher.  Address might change in future!)