Re: Netatalk and SSL

Daniel Dickinson <alemc.2@bmts.com> writes:

> Ok, I'm confused.  In the netatalk README.Debian it says that the
> Debian project has decided that OpenSSL is GPL-incompatible and
> therefore he can't distribute the ssl-based portions of netatalk (like
> encrypted authentication with classic macs).  I was pretty sure that
> debian had worked something out for linking OpenSSL with debian
> package.  Was it only for specific packages?  Is this developer just
> not aware of the accommodation?  Am I totally out to lunch on what's
> going on with this?

It isn't just Debian: it's the GPL Compliance Lab too.

Anyhow, the point is that certain GPLd programs have special
exceptions that allow them to be linked with openssl.  However, note
that *all* the GPL'd code in the final program must have the
exception.

For example, gwenhywfar is a library which contains the exception and
which uses openssl, but that doesn't solve the gnucash problem, where
we want to link gnucash against this library.  We can't do that,
because gnucash and gnome don't have the exception.

Thomas