Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 11:02:59PM +0200, Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 04:52:22PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > >   - something it already had (admins who really wanted Sun's Java could
> > > always go to java.sun.com and install it themselves or use java-package)
> >
> > Well, see, *this* is not true. Sure, it's possible to install Java on a
> > Debian system; one can even turn a non-free binary java distribution
> > into a Debian package and install that by using java-package. However,
> > this is a far cry from
> > * Being able to install non-free Java on your Debian system, even if the
> >   oldest Java binaries being distributed by the original authors are
> >   more recent than the ones java-package is ready for
> > * Being able to just install non-free Java by running "apt-get install".
> > * Being able to upgrade to a newer (fixed) version of Java by just
> >   running "apt-get upgrade"
>
> Please RTFM [1], Blackdown has been distributing java packages for Debian
> through their own APT repositories and mirror network for quite some time.
> For example check this:
>
> # Blackdown Java
> deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian unstable non-free

Apparently you've not been following the world very closely, blackdown
haven't updated the packages in that archive for "some time", and now
suggest using java-package to create your own packages.

Personally, I'd much rather the Sun JVM was removed from non-free until
the licence is sorted to an extent that means SPI isn't legally bound by
distributing it in non-free. java-package works, and it works well.

Thanks,
--
Brett Parker