Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 04:52:22PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> >   - something it already had (admins who really wanted Sun's Java could
> > always go to java.sun.com and install it themselves or use java-package)
>
> Well, see, *this* is not true. Sure, it's possible to install Java on a
> Debian system; one can even turn a non-free binary java distribution
> into a Debian package and install that by using java-package. However,
> this is a far cry from
> * Being able to install non-free Java on your Debian system, even if the
>   oldest Java binaries being distributed by the original authors are
>   more recent than the ones java-package is ready for
> * Being able to just install non-free Java by running "apt-get install".
> * Being able to upgrade to a newer (fixed) version of Java by just
>   running "apt-get upgrade"

Please RTFM [1], Blackdown has been distributing java packages for Debian
through their own APT repositories and mirror network for quite some time.
For example check this:

# Blackdown Java
deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian unstable non-free

> But you knew that already, I'm sure.

You don't see to be very good at straightening the facts. Thank you.

Regards

Javier

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/
question "11.1 How can I get Debian packages from Blackdown?"