LSB init scripts and multiple lines of output

Hi,

I am faced with the problem on how to tackle multiline output from
an init.d script, which I have just converted to LSB. Since the
package is mdadm and RAID is kinda essential to those that have it
configured, I'd rather not hide information but give the user the
entire process.

In my ideal world, this is what it would look like:

Starting RAID devices ...
  /dev/md0 has been started with 3 drives.
  /dev/md1 has been started with 3 drives.
  /dev/md2 assembled from 2 drives - need all 3 to start it
  /dev/md3 assembled from 1 drive - not enough to start the array.
  /dev/md4 has been started with 3 drives.
... done assembling RAID devices: failed.

I don't seem to be able to realise this with lsb-base, nor does it
seem that they even provide for this. The alternative -- all in one
line -- just seems rather uninviting:

  Starting RAID devices ... /dev/md0 has been started with 3 drives,
  /dev/md1 has been started with 3 drives, /dev/md2 assembled from
  2 drives - need all 3 to start it, /dev/md3 assembled from 1 drive
  - not enough to start the array, /dev/md4 has been started with
  3 drives. failed.

Generally, I would not have a problem doing something like

  Starting RAID devices ... failed (see log for details).

But the problem is quite simply that by the time the script runs,
/var may not be there, and neither is /usr/bin/logger.

So what to do?

My current approach, which is to map short terms to the long errors
is just too much of an obfuscating hack, and it runs more than 80
characters as well:

  Starting RAID devices ... md0 started, md1 started, md2
  degraded+started, md3 degraded+failed, md4 started ... failed.

Any suggestions?

`. `'`

drink canada dry! you might not succeed, but it *is* fun trying.