Re: [Debconf-discuss] Re: Please revoke your signatures from Martin Kraff's keys

srivasta@acm.org dijo [Fri, May 26, 2006 at 10:34:50AM -0500]:
> > know who Martin Krafft is; I've seen him at a number of FOSDEM
> > instances, and I've seen him last year in Helsinki, where I called
> > him by his name (to which he reacted), and where literally hundreds
> > of others did the same.  Considering that, I don't need a
> > government-issued ID to be sure that he is indeed who he claims to
> > be. I suspect the same is true for many of the other Debian people
> > there.
>
>         This is why they say that the plural of anecdote is not data.
>  I am pretty sure I am not the only person at debconf6 for whom this
>  was the first debconf.   If the source of all our identity
>  verification is a) a person says who he is, and b) presents a perhaps
>  purchased off the internet doc saying the same thing, I am not sure
>  _how_ one can have a trust relationship between a  name and a
>  fingerprint.

Well... I personally trust your identity because I saw people who I
know are familiar with you on a personal basis (and whom I trust) talk
to you naturally, and because people in general knew you are
Manoj. And, of course, because you showed me an ID - But I trust more
the familiar treatment to you from the SPI people and from former and
present DPLs than the government which used your ID.

I believe you could trust I am who I say I am - after all, people were
calling my name everywhere, and I was just proofing you cannot be in
ten places at the same time for the whole time over two weeks :) It
might be enough proof for some people that I am Gunnar Wolf - With or
without an ID.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23