Re: [Debconf-discuss] Re: Please revoke your signatures from Martin Kraff's keys

On 26 May 2006, Wouter Verhelst told this:

> On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 11:57:09AM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
>> This may be a silly question but doesn't my signature only state
>> that I certify this key really belongs to the person it seems to
>> belong to?
>
> That aside, personally, I don't know what the big fuzz is about. I

        Err, I thought I had already elucidated what my concerns were.

> know who Martin Krafft is; I've seen him at a number of FOSDEM
> instances, and I've seen him last year in Helsinki, where I called
> him by his name (to which he reacted), and where literally hundreds
> of others did the same.  Considering that, I don't need a
> government-issued ID to be sure that he is indeed who he claims to
> be. I suspect the same is true for many of the other Debian people
> there.

        This is why they say that the plural of anecdote is not data.
 I am pretty sure I am not the only person at debconf6 for whom this
 was the first debconf.   If the source of all our identity
 verification is a) a person says who he is, and b) presents a perhaps
 purchased off the internet doc saying the same thing, I am not sure
 _how_ one can have a trust relationship between a  name and a
 fingerprint.

        manoj
--
Don't despair; your ideal lover is waiting for you around the corner.
Manoj Srivastava   <manoj.srivastava@stdc.com>    <srivasta@acm.org>