Re: Changing the default syslogd (again...)

On 24 May 2006, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña verbalised:

> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 09:52:02PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>> Actually, from personal experience, bugs are not fixed because the
>>> maintainer is against all NMUs, even those that follow the steps
>>> described in the sysklogd's source 'debian/NMU-Disclaimer'. The
>>> current maintainer's handling of bugs and suggestions to NMU for
>>> this package discourages people to either NMU or help him
>>> integrate patches included by other distributions (like Red Hat /
>>> Fedora) into the version in Debian.
>>
>> Since we periodically have bug squash parties, and NMU's for long
>> standing bugs ought to be permissible (use N-day delayed uploads if
>> one wants to be extra careful), this should not be an issue.
>
> The maintainer explicitly says that those are not an option, quoting
> from the file I mentioned:
>
> " These rules always apply.  They even apply if somebody declares
> NMUs as ok and reduces regular NMU rules to a delay of zero days.
> Unless I'm on vacation or on a show I am reachable via mail, so
> there is hardly a reason not to contact me. "

        I would not really be paying much attention  to  what the
 developer thought by this point: the quality of the distribution, and
 the impact of the bugs on the users would probably trump the
 developers desires.

        Look, this is simple: Bugs bad. Bug fixing good. No magtter
 who it is doing the fixing.

> The maintainer, at some point during a private conversation, even
> discouraged me to upload to *experimental* a new version of sysklogd
> fixing the issues I have prepared. That's why they ended up in my
> p.d.o page (they are not there anymore BTW).

        And you are putting the maintainers exhortations above the
 quality of the distribution and users impacted by these bugs?  Why is
 that?

        manoj
--
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. C.G. Jung