Re: Changing the default syslogd (again...)

On 23 May 2006, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña said:

> On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 07:38:10AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> (...)
>> Issues: (1) Quality.  sysklogd has 105 open bugs: 3 important (1
>> with patch), 43 normal (11 with patches), 11 minor (4 with
>> patches), and 19 wishlist (some of which are really quite
>> important, such as 44523)
>
> Please, when was open bugs a measure of quality? We have crappy code
> in Debian with 0 bugs because nobody uses it and cares to file a
> bug. Don't confuse popularity (more popular == more users == more
> *reported* bugs) to quality (worst code == more bugs). Reported bugs
> is in no way a measure to compare package's quality.

        While a raw count of open bugsmay speak more to a packages
 size and history than quality of maintenance, important and normal
 bugs open for any length of time with patches do raise some flags.

        Either the patch should have been applied, or the tag removed
 if the patch is unacceptable.

>> The source code is a hairy mess, in my opinion, and I can see why
>> these bugs aren't being fixed.  It's been prone to repeated RC
>> bugs, IMO due to the hairiness of the codebase.  (I would also
>> really not like to try a licensing audit of this package.)
>
> Actually, from personal experience, bugs are not fixed because the
> maintainer is against all NMUs, even those that follow the steps
> described in the sysklogd's source 'debian/NMU-Disclaimer'. The
> current maintainer's handling of bugs and suggestions to NMU for
> this package discourages people to either NMU or help him integrate
> patches included by other distributions (like Red Hat / Fedora) into
> the version in Debian.

        Since we periodically have bug squash parties, and NMU's for
 long standing bugs ought to be permissible (use N-day delayed uploads
 if one wants to be extra careful), this should not be an issue.

        manoj
--
I hear what you're saying but I just don't care.