Re: use of "invoke-rc.d $PACKAGE stop || exit $?" in prerm scripts

Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

> * Michael Prokop:
>
>> Using:
>>
>>   invoke-rc.d $PACKAGE stop || true
>>   /etc/init.d/$PACKAGE stop || true
>>
>> would be a replacement already used in some packages like for
>> example at, binfmt-support, dnsmasq, drbd0.7-utils, freeradius, hal,
>> scanlogd, sl-modem-daemon, snort.
>
> I suppose it would be preferable to fix the "stop" target of the init
> script top cope with the situation that the daemon has already been
> terminated.  The current situation (stopping a daemon manually before
> deinstallation makes it fail) is hardly acceptable.

I agree:  The only valid reason for a "stop" call to fail should be if
it is actually impossible to stop a running daemon.  In this case, I
think the package removal should indeed fail, because even if it just
hangs completely, it might recover and then just continue to accept
connections until the machine is rebooted.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)