Re: Sun Java available from non-free

* Wouter Verhelst (wouter@debian.org) wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 08:01:34AM +0200, Juergen A. Erhard wrote:
> > On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 03:55:53PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > [...]  They didn't ask you because Debian is not a democracy and random
> > > opinions on this decision *don't* matter.
> >
> > Wow, thanks for telling us.  I thought the Debian developers elected a DPL
> > every year.
>
> The presence of elections do not necessarily turn an organization into a
> democracy. Steve is right; Debian is not a democracy, and random
> opinions on this decision are of no relevance to it.

Sure, it's not a democracy, and true the final decision is made by
the select few, but it's rude and insulting to basically say "I don't care
that you were interested enough to look into this license more carefully
and had some concern about it, it's good enough and I don't think you
should care."  Perhaps it's not as bad as all that, but when someone is
willing to take the time to critique a decision or process or way
something was done it's not necessairly a bad thing, even if they don't
actually have a say in the final decision.

	Thanks,

		Stephen