Re: Why not making /sbin/sendmail a mantadory component for mail operation?

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, 17 May 2006, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> delivered internaly or not at all for my chroots but I still want to
>> be able to report bugs with the right dependency informations. If you
>> force the use of an MTA then I would have to save the bug reports to a
>> file and mail them manualy from outside the chroot every time I get a
>> bug. Much less usable.
>
> Override the default to use SMTP directly, then.  Are you seriously
> advocating your "chroot with a mail-less setup" as a good reason to define
> the *default* method of mail delivery for the distro?  That ain't a common
> user case, you know.
>
> It is *not* much less usable, at all.  We are talking about the *default*
> behaviour.

No, you sounded like you wanted to enforce the installation of an MTA
on every system and only support that (since all systems would have
one why bother with anything else?).

Anyway, the default currently is to use the normal mail system instead
of going direct.

MfG
        Goswin