Why not making /sbin/sendmail a mantadory component for mail operation?

On Wed, 17 May 2006, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> which results in "smtphost bugs.debian.org" in the conffile. Maybe the
> default to the MTA question could be "N" instead.

An open outgoing port 25 is commonly blocked by default anywhere you have
non-incompetent network management, unless you are on the business of
selling full internet uplinks for server hosting, or you do business with
spammers.

Sometimes I feel we are abandoning the true spirit of an Unix system.  If
Debian made sure to always have a local MTA that is properly configured to
send email (and it can be a simple SMTP with no queue thing, too.  It can
work just as well and can be as safe as a full-blown MTA, the drawback is
that the user has to wait for the email to be delivered to a queueing MTA
before the sendmail command returns), everything could be made to just work.

What exactly is the problem with making a local MTA absolutely mandatory,
(as in anything that sends email either recommends or depends on
mail-transport-agent)?

Of course, at the same time we would have to make sure stuff like nbsmtp,
nullmailer, esmtp-run or ssmtp is trivially easy to install, and point our
users to those packages so that they know the possiblity exists. IMHO we
really ought to leverage d-i to bluntly ask the user if he wants a
full-blown MTA or just a SMTP relay (obviously by using easier terms, like a
"Advanced outgoing mail service" (i.e. exim) task, which if not selected,
gives you nullmailer or somesuch.

  Henrique Holschuh