Re: Creation of custom "configured" packages?

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 08:33, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:09:37 +0200, "cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)"
>
> <cobaco@linux.be> wrote:
> >How so? As an admin you can always comment out any conf.d file
> > completely if you don't want what is in there. After which dpkg will
> > come with the usual prompt at package upgrade about the conf-file being
> > changed allowing you to keep it that way without any effort.
>
> Aren't we talking about delivering local configuration to a system
> with an independent package? That package cannot comment out a conf.d
> file that comes with the original package.

right, got you now:

there's 2 viewpoints:
- that of the local admin (the 'delete configuration' you mentioned made me
  assume you were talking about the local admin viewpoint, my bad)
  -> can always override everything wether it's monolitic or modular
  -> modular is better if the admin just want to set some additional options
     (you don't need to mess with the conffile in the package, so you don't
      get the "conffile has changed" prompt on upgrade because you set a
      couple of extra options)
- that of another package
  -> modular _at_least allows to add bits of configuration which is usefull
     for:
     - plugins offering extra functionality
     - things building on another service (e.g. web-applications)
     - configuration packages of CDD's
   -> _might_ allow overriding of configuration *IF* the config system
      always uses either the first or last value encountered for a
      particular setting and looks at things in some non-random order.
      Which I'm guessing should moslty be the case, and is at least
      sometimes be the case (e.g. the modularized system-wide on-login
      scripts for those shells that have them)

=> /etc/<something>.d directory might not be perfect, but it's good sight
   better then monolitic configuration files
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)