Re: multiarch status update

"Olaf van der Spek" <olafvdspek@gmail.com> writes:

> On 5/15/06, Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>> Bill Allombert <ballombe@master.debian.org> writes:

>> > Personnally I would favor a new files hierachy that allow every
>> > arch-dependend files to be co-installable. Even if we are not able to
>> > take full advantage of it at once, it seems saner and more forward-looking
>> > than only allowing libraries to be co-installable. This might also make
>> > easier to have this new scheme adopted by other OS.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>>
>> But would make it totaly incompatible with existing systems.
>
> Why do you think there's no compatible solution?

Because basicaly all sources assume binaries go to <prefix>/bin. You
want to break that. Also a lot of scripts expect binaries to be where
they are and anything setting PATH too.

We have thought hard about this over the last 2 years and nobody has
come up with a non disruptive way to change binary location that is
both upwards and downwards compatible. That certainly isn't a proof
but untill someone comes up with a solution I will keep asuming there
is none.

MfG
        Goswin