Re: multiarch status update

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 12:01:08AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> "Olaf van der Spek" <olafvdspek@gmail.com> writes:
> > Why do you think there's no compatible solution?
>
> Because basicaly all sources assume binaries go to <prefix>/bin. You
> want to break that. Also a lot of scripts expect binaries to be where
> they are and anything setting PATH too.

Have you considered employing the alternatives system (or something
similar)? What I'm suggesting is that you'd basically get a /bin64 and a
/bin32, where binaries install themselves in /bin by default but divert
to the /binXX when both versions are installed, and use symlinks in an
update-alternatives way to select the default.

--
Fun will now commence