Re: python-minimal

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 04:25:18PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:

> "Steve Langasek" <vorlon@debian.org> wrote in message
> [🔎] 20060430085241.GD18891@mauritius.dodds.net">news:[🔎] 20060430085241.GD18891@mauritius.dodds.net...

> >>I can add one; it's not a lot of overhead given that lintian already has
> >>framework for checking for bad dependencies.  It's basically just another
> >>branch in an if statement.

> >>What's the precise check?  Any package depending on python-minimal should
> >>receive an error (or a warning?)

> Based on Vorlon's message:

> If (package depends on python-minimal) and (package is not essential) then
> ERROR.

No, that's not what I said.  The python-minimal package is designed to be
used *as* an Essential package, not *by* Essential packages.  Nothing,
essential or not, should depend on it in Debian, whether or not
python-minimal itself gets marked as Essential: yes.  (As long as
python-minimal is not essential, you don't depend on it because it shouldn't
be installed without python; if python-minimal *is* essential, you don't
depend on it because you don't declare dependencies on essential packages.)