Re: locales broken?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:28:11PM +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> Hi Devs,
>
> I know some weeks ago we had some major change in some package (I don't
> remember) which broke my locales. I am using UTF-8 (German) but my
> system is acting quite strange after the upgrade of the (unknown) package:

[snip]

> My locale is still set to UTF-8 (German) but:
>
> $ env | grep -i lang
> $

Are you sure that isn't being set by one of the files your shell sources
during initialization?  That was the case for me.

> I don't know which package to blame, so can somebody give me a hint and
> maybe a workaround?

One solution is to set the proper locale in /etc/environment and ensure
/etc/pam.d/*dm uses pam_env (this is what I did).

Another, probably better, solution is to set the proper locale in
~/.xsession since that will affect only you instead of everyone that
uses the computer.

HTH,

James
--