locales broken?

Hi Devs,

I know some weeks ago we had some major change in some package (I don't
remember) which broke my locales. I am using UTF-8 (German) but my
system is acting quite strange after the upgrade of the (unknown) package:

- amarok refuses to play files with umlauts in the filename
- firefox and thunderbird start with the English locale (German locales
are installed)
- I'm not able to enter umlauts in KDE's Konsole
- aptitude in Linux-Console (without WindowManager) looks butt-ugly
- ...

My locale is still set to UTF-8 (German) but:

$ env | grep -i lang
$

I don't know which package to blame, so can somebody give me a hint and
maybe a workaround?

Best regards,

Bastian