Re: Lintian package-has-a-duplicate-relation

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> Usually because the binaries shipped with the package use internal,
>> undocumented interfaces that are not available to the rest of the world
>> and hence are not considered part of the SONAME (i.e., upstream doesn't
>> bump the SONAME when they change).

> And you can't use a shlibs.local file to override the lesser
> restrictions when building?

That's what I've been meaning to try.  The only thing that I've been a bit
worried about is that the package also builds multiple library packages,
and they shouldn't have the same tight dependency on each other, plus I've
heard (but not verified) that shlibs.local can lead to a library package
depending on itself if there are multiple shared libraries in it with
internal dependencies.

The best solution would really be to decide to bump the shlibs file each
time anything changes that may affect even the internal programs in the
package.  I need to talk to upstream about that.