GPG signing of debian packages

Dear experts,
I am trying to build my own debian packages with GPG signature. I set up gnupg, ran gpg and gpg --gen-key and also filled the variable default-key with my generated keyID in ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf. I thought that this is all I have to do, since Debian Maintainer's guide claims that
         dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
needs as the input the secret passhprase (twice). I expected I would be asked for the passphrase, but it's not the case. When I ran that command, I only got the error message:
--------
dpkg-deb: building package `sshguard' in `../sshguard_1.0.0-4_all.deb'.
 signfile sshguard_1.0.0-4.dsc
gpg: skipped "Tomas Davidek <Tomas.Davidek@mff.cuni.cz>": secret key not available
gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key not available
--------
The name and email address match those which I used for key generation, so this should be ok. Maybe one has to specify the sign-command (-p) in dpkg-buildpackage ? If so, how does such a command look like ? Or is there anything else wrong ?

Thanks a lot any hint,

best regards

           Tomas

 E-mail : davidek@ipnp.troja.mff.cuni.cz,