Re: Debian Light Desktop - meta package

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> writes:
> The "renders documents much more nicely" is absolutely wrong

No it's not.  Perhaps you haven't used xpdf recently.

In particular, xpdf seems to do a _much_ better job of anti-aliasing
fonts than evince:  xpdf's antialiasing generally manages to be both
smooth _and_ still maintain readable high-contrast edges, whereas
evince's antialiasing is often a fuzzy mess.

I don't know why this is -- I'd think both would eventually end up using
the same freetype/xft/whatever library to do font rendering -- but it's
the main thing that quickly drives me away from evince every time I try
it.  Having readable fonts is pretty basic for a pdf-viewer!

[xpdf used to have pretty poor font support, but it's become very good
these days.]

-miles
--
We live, as we dream -- alone....