Re: Upload getting lost

* Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> [060413 06:05]:
> >> A colon is explicitly allowed if the version contains an epoch.  In
> >> this case, the build generate file names which contain a colon,
> >> too, and I'd expect them to be rejected in the same manner (they
> >> look essentially the same because the epoch is dropped).
> >
> > Sounds like Policy needs an update to me if we're not going to
> > accept version numbers that contain a colon (other than the epoch
> > colon).  I'd be happy to second such a proposal.
>
>         Why not fix the bug instead?

Policy has (besides other things) the job of documentating current
practice. This discrepancy is there for a long time. It is even known
for a long time.
(compare e.g.  http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/2003/10/msg00110.html)

No one uses colons in the upstream version, as it is not possible for
a long time. So we can either adapt the policy to the rules
actually in action, or the fix the rules in action.
As noone needed it enough that it was fixed for years, and always
disallowing colons makes the whole rule easier and brings us in a bug
free state directly (some tools would not reject a explicitly invalid
version then, but we know all programs work with valid versions and no
other programs might cause problems when first hit by them) my
suggestion is to adapt policy to practice.

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.