Re: System users that receive mail in /var/mail/systemuser?

Sam Morris <sam@robots.org.uk> wrote:
> Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> Hello,
>> system users like proxy, sshd or identd usually do not receive any
>> mail at all. And system-users that _do_ receive mail are usually
>> redirected to a real user by /etc/aliases.

>> I do wonder whether it would be safe to reject any mail for
>> system-accounts (uid <1000 || uid >63434) unless it is redirected with
>> /etc/aliases?
>>             cu andreas

> Or just redirect all such mail to root, that way you don't have to keep
> /etc/aliases up to date for every package installed that creates a user.

Hello,
looks like I was unclear. I wanted to change current semi-policy:

#1 sane packages redirect mail via /etc/aliases
#2 insane packages park it in /var/mail/systemuser, where nobody will
   see it
#3 insane packages probably do not exist, /var/mail/systemuser
   probably just contains spam

#1 sane packages redirect mail via /etc/aliases
#2 un-aliased mail to systemusers (e.g. spam) is not accepted and
dumped into /var/mail/systemuser but rejected immediately (at SMTP
time).

And now I am wondering whether this will break existing packages.
            cu andreas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute